In January 2013, we launched Dropify with the intention of presenting quality free downloads in beautiful and engaging fashion, while helping our publishers get more fans on Facebook. Social integration has always been a key component since day one. However, despite numerous great success stories, the past few months have proven that there was still room for improvement, which is why we went back to the drawing board.
Today, we’re thrilled to announce the public release of Dropify Download 2.0.
At its core, Dropify is about your free digital content. Your free downloads are a valuable asset to engage your followers and customers at almost no cost. Since the launch of Dropify, music artists, DJs, authors, photographers, and many other content creators have reached thousands of new people with the downloads they provided via the Dropify platform. We’ve seen some brands double their Facebook Likes in almost no time; all due to quality content that has gone viral with the aid of Dropify.
The driving purpose behind Dropify Download 2.0 is to provide our publishers with a more intuitive presentation of their downloads, and advanced social integration that always keeps these downloads rolling – all in a modern “landing page”-like interface that makes downloading your files a real pleasure. At the same time, we want people to intuitively navigate through your Dropify download, like it’s natural to them.
Dropify Download 2.0 comes loaded with a set of new features. The complete download presentation has been revamped, from the overall flow, user comments, social integration, recommendations, and more.
We wanted to take a second to point out the most striking updates that we think you’ll love:
- The Flow – In version 1.0, people had to click “get file” (step 1), like (step 2 / given that Like Gating was active), recommend (step 3), and click “download” (step 4) in order to actually receive the free file. Obviously, this was NOT what you’d consider a convenient user experience. The new flow is smooth as silk: click “download file” (step 1) and instantly receive the file! That’s right, no more steps in between, unless the publisher has activated Like Gating (step 2). We’ve completely banned the fourth step and put the recommend to friends screen as the third and final step (or 2nd / given that Like Gating is inactive). It makes so much more sense, as people can now actually experience the content they just downloaded, before recommending it to friends who might be into it as well.
- UI / Design – We felt that the old Download was too generic and didn’t look right, especially when there wasn’t a quality cover artwork attached to your Drop. The new interface is all about a clear structure and it’s visually rich. There is a top bar which hosts all actions the user can perform (Download, Like, Share, Subscribe). These are visible at all times, and no longer part of the click-through process. The center of the page visually presents the download itself, displays people who already downloaded the file and lists comments that were written about it. The sidebar offers a file description and recommendations, based on what you’re looking at. All interaction happens within the cover area, ensuring that all other key options always stay in their original place.
- User Comments – It was about time! Never download a file again, that no one else would actually recommend. People can now comment on each download, giving you an idea of its quality. Of course, you can join the conversation yourself right off the bat. Just enter your comment and submit it. No need to create an extra account; you do it all via your Facebook user that you’re connected with to the Dropify app. As with any other quality commenting system, you can up-vote and down-vote other user comments.
- Visually Recommend – You can now visually select 1-5 friends from your Facebook friends list that you feel might be interested in the free file you just downloaded. Simply click on one of the profile images of your suggested friends, or enter a specific name into the search field.
- SoundCloud Integration – This comes in handy for all music artists and DJs on Dropify. If you have a SoundCloud profile and want to enable people to listen to your free music prior to downloading it, all you have to do is enter your Track URL or Track ID in your Drops’ settings. An audio play button will be placed on the cover, allowing for a one-click audio preview. Be sure to update your existing Drops with the SoundCloud preview, by adding the URL via “Dashboard > Drop Details > Edit Content”.
- Social Sharing – Share the free download to all your favorite social network with a single click, copy its short URL, and email it to friends. No longer do you have to run through the complete download process. It’s right up top at all times.
- Guest Downloads – It’s now possible to let users, who don’t want to connect to the Dropify app, download your files. Guest Downloads can be activated in your Publisher Settings. It’s located right below the Facebook settings. Please note: Facebook Like Gate does not work for guests. It’s totally up to you though, whether or not you want to provide that option.
Check out these live Drops to see Dropify Download 2.0 in action:
- DJ Set: Miguel Campbell – Cirque De La Nuit Boat Show
- PSD: Facebook Fan Page GUI
- PDF: Wella Professionals Dezibel Hair Styling Guide
Dropify has always been built to provide publishers with a super easy way of providing their content and for people to discover and download this content in engaging fashion.
Your inspiring feedback – from publishers and users alike – is deeply woven into the fabric of Dropify Download 2.0. It have been your ideas that sparked this major update! Thank you for helping us achieve today’s result and your continued support.
Let us know what you think about Dropify Download 2.0 by commenting below or on Twitter (@Dropify).
Want to offer your own free downloads via Dropify? Get started for free at http://dropify.com.
Please do not hesitate to contact support with any questions you might have.